Vision and missionThe purpose of the MISTRA Future Fashion Program is to deliver insights and solutions that will be used by the Swedish Fashion Industry to significantly improve its environmental performance and strengthen its global competitiveness.
The program consists of eight research projects, each aiming to generate new knowledge and recommendations that can be used by the Swedish fashion industry.
The research projects are designed to answer critical questions such as:
- How should we define and measure progress towards a sustainable fashion industry?
- How can we stimulate greater innovation, including the development of more sustainable business models, in Swedish fashion companies?
- How can we rethink company design processes so that they prioritize more sustainable choices?
- How can we meet the increasing demand for textile fibers over the next twenty years, particularly by developing forest-based fiber options?
- In terms of reuse and recycling, how can we design systems and techniques that can successfully collect, handle and upgrade old fibers into new fibers?
- How can we develop more effective ways to ensure consumers demand and purchase more sustainable fashion products and services?
- How can we harness the power of the public sector to increase the demand for more sustainable textile products?
- What policy frameworks and instruments are needed to encourage significantly greater investments in sustainable fashion?
The program is organized so that it leverages expertise from many established Swedish and international research institutes and universities. It also aims to increase each organization’s capacity to carry out research within sustainable fashion in the future.
Ultimately the program aims to create a dynamic and robust relationship between the research community and practitioners working in or with the Swedish Fashion industry, thus ensuring that Sweden and the Nordic region become the leading center of excellence for sustainability research and practice related to the fashion industry.
MISTRA Future Fashion is generously funded by MISTRA, The Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research. www.mistra.org